Drivers attack FRSC in Osun, beat up personnel

Some members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers on Thursday invaded the office of the Federal Road Safety Corps in Osogbo, beat up personnel and vandalised some vehicles.

Our correspondent gathered that some officers of the FRSC arrested a bus with the inscription of NURTW and asked the driver to drive to the Commission’s office along Ogo Oluwa area but the driver sped off.

His action, it was gathered, made the FRSC patrol team to go after the erring driver. The driver was said to have made a U-turn and drove to Olaiya Junction where some drivers who had gathered beat up an FRSC officer on sight.

After this, the NURTW members mobilised themselves and stormed the office of the FRSC, where they beat officers there and vandalised some vehicles.

The protesting drivers were said to have armed themselves with clubs, stones and other dangerous weapons while attacking the office amidst the shout of “ kill all of them.”

A resident of the area who identified himself as Taiwo Adewole told our correspondent that the police team which came to the FRSC office could not restore order until a team of armed officials of NSCDC arrived.

He said the arrival of the NSCDC team brought the situation under control and the drivers beat a retreat.

The Head, Public Relations and Protocol Unit of the NSCDC, Mr. Wale Folarin, when contacted on the telephone also confirmed that officials of the security agency prevented what would have been a total breakdown of law and order.

He said normalcy had since been returned to the place. Our correspondent, who visited the place observed the presence of armed NSCDC officials and some policemen.

The Sector Commander of the FRSC, Mr. Mohammed Hussein, who confirmed the attack on his men, said his official car was also vandalised.

He said, “During the attack at Olaiya Junction, my official car was also damaged because it was also used to chase the bus.

“I reported the case to the Area Commander Office. I called the Civil Defence commandant and also the Director of DSS.

“I also called the NURTW national president to report the issue before they now came down. Some of my personnel were beaten up while one of them was beaten with charms which rendered him unconscious but he had been revived.”