‘Abductors carried tired Falae on their back’

The 96-hour horrifying experience of the  former Secretary to the Government of the Federation SGF, Chief Oluyemisi Falae , in  kidnappers den, would remain with him  for a long time to come.

Olu-Falae-release4In an emotion-laden voice, he recounted how he was hounded like a criminal right in the middle of his breakfast and made to trek in the forest for 10 hours,   slept on bare floor for four days and the excruciating pains he suffered during his captivity.

Falae was narrating his  ordeal in  kidnappers den to Governor Olusegun Mimiko who visited him  after he was rescued at about 4:14pm on Thursday.

He returned home to a tumultuous crowd who besieged his house  located along Oba-Ile. On hand were Inspector General of Police Solomon Arase and top police  chiefs  in the state led by the Police Commissioner Mike Ogbodu who went with over 400 policemen to bring him back home after his captors released him.

Arase had landed in Akure, the Ondo  State capital,  in a  police chopper marked 5N- ANS on Thursday on the directive of President Muhammadu Buhari that the elder statesman be rescued alive from his abductors.

The family of the politician, the presidential candidate of the Alliance for Democracy (AD)/ All Peoples Party (APP) in the 1999 general elections,  had reportedly perfected his release on Wednesday before the arrival of the IGP  in the state.

Eight gun welding  herds men had  allegedly invaded his  farm, located at Ilado village in Akure North Council area of Ondo  State on the day he clocked 77 , attacked and injured many of his over 200 workers and  abducted their prime target at about 10:30am.

Falae was said to be  taking his breakfast in his office located inside the farm when the kidnappers swooped on him and took him away. His abductors didn’t come in any vehicle and didn’t escape with him in any vehicle either. He was made to trek with them into the forest.

Only one of the kidnappers who, it was gathered, presumably knew him in person, wore mask while others were bare faced and  armed with AK 47 rifles, cutlasses and cudgels .

Immediately  the leader in mask saw him in the office, he reportedly ordered him to follow them and, while Falae  questioned their identity, he was  dealt a machete blow on his right hand leaving him to bleed profusely.

Falae, rescued on Thursday in Owo area of the state where he was dumped by his abductors, told Mimiko that he slept on  bare floor in the forest for four days.

“ They made me to trek   for several hours inside the forest on that Monday all through the night. Those that accompanied me were six in number,” the elder statesman said. .

“ After trekking for that long, we came out at Owo/ Ifon  expressway. We trekked throughout the night.

“ To avoid security who may be searching for me, they changed locations four times daily.

“ I was offered food but I chose not to eat their food but only took bread and  Coca-cola for the number of days I was in their captivity.”

Sunday Vanguard was told by a  family member that they were informed by  Falae that during the   llong  walk inside the forest, whenever he was  tired, the six  abductors took time to carry him on their back for him to regain  his strength and then continue  the journey.

He said that his kidnappers avoided the main road until they got to Owo.

It was learnt that the kidnappers reportedly hid their weapons at strategic places inside the forest and, while the six  abductors  accompanied the politician  during the journey, two others, in  a  hideout, were making contact and negotiating   with the family on the ransom to be paid.

The politician was said to have been having issues with  herds men who had been invading his farmland  with their cows to graze and destroy.

His abduction by the  herds men was seen as a retaliation  for  the arrest of two of them  detained after the last encounter over the invasion of the same farm last month.

Sunday Vanguard gathered that the  herds men dropped  Falae at  Joyland Hotel,  Owo where security operatives picked him  and brought him to Akure.

It was gathered that the family and the security operatives had to appeal to the owner of the hotel to allow the politician make use of one the rooms in the hotel to change his dress.