Policeman killed my wife, shot me because of N2,000 bribe —TRICYCLE OPERATOR


Lagos—Godwin Ekpo, the tricycle operator whose wife was shot dead by  Corporal Muse Aremu,  attached to the Isheri Oshun division, two weeks ago,  in Ijegun area of Lagos, has been discharged from the hospital, after undergoing surgery in his jaw.

This is just as he has revealed that life was snuffed out of his wife by Aremu’s bullet, following his refusal to give the killer cop  N2,000.

Ekpo, who is yet to come to terms with  reality of the demise of his wife, Comfort Idongesit,  described the incident as the worst tragedy that had befallen him.


Speaking with Vanguard, Ekpo said: “I don’t know what I did to the policeman to warrant such calamity. I have never had any issue with the police all my life. I was returning from church that fateful night in the company of my wife and four children;   Mary, 12; Blessing, 9; Abraham, 7; and 11-month-old Elijah. On reaching  Obalagbe, along Ijegun road,  some policemen stopped me. One of them came  and demanded for N2,000. I told him the passengers were my family members and that I was returning from church.  My wife who was with this baby (pointing to 11 months old Elijah), came down and was even explaining to the policeman. But he  refused to listen. Before we knew it, he fired a shot which hit my wife on the head. She died right on the spot. The bullet pierced through her head, hit me in the jaw and right arm. That was all I could remember until I found my self in the hospital.

“Oh! The wife of my youth is gone. She was a friend, a sister, a wife and a mother to me. Where do I begin from? How do I take care of these children alone, especially Elijah?

“Although the Police tried their best in paying for the treatment but that cannot bring back my Comfort Idongesit. The Lagos State Commissioner of Police visited me in the hospital, where I was told that my children’s education would be taken care of. But they have not started school. We are still waiting for the next move.

“I am appealing to the Federal Government, the governors of Lagos and  Akwa-Ibom states, as   well as well  meaning Nigerians, to come to my aid. My life has been shattered by that singular incident of September 16, 2015,” he lamented.

Killer cop arraigned in court

Meanwhile, it would be recalled that the  killer cop and members of his team have since been arrested on the order of the Commissioner of Police, with the Isheri Oshun Divisional Police Officer queried.

The killer cop, 28-year-old Aremu was arraigned before an Ebute-Metta Chief Magistrate’s Court on September 18, 2015,  on a two- count charge of murder and causing grievous bodily harm. Consequently, Magistrate Afolashade Botoku ordered that the defendant be remanded in prison custody for the next 30 days, and adjourned the matter till October 19, 2015.

No comments :

Post a Comment